Monday, December 26, 2022

I Got The Job

      Well, as I write this, I only have 1 more week with my current company. That means only 4 more days out at the Space Center. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move in a somewhat different direction. I will miss it out there as well as the people that I met. Some of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure to work with.

     I've decided to kind of just emerse myself in the experience out there and just soak it all in. The only thing I didn't get to actually see that I wanted to, was the crawler actually moving. It always seemed to happen either late at night, or early in the day when I wasn't there. If that is my only missed experience, I'll take it. I did get another creepy photo last week as the front moved in for what has been the coldest snap of maybe the last decade here. The VAB always looks incredibly spooky when you can't see the top of it.



      I did get to hear a few stories of the inside of the building from a former security officer that worked over there. I thought my building was active. He told me about a night on a New Years Eve when he was the only one in the building, and he stood at the bottom in the very center and what was happening. He said it was like the first day of the Apollo mission, with voices being heard from all directions, footsteps running around and, elevators going up and down all by themselves. I would really like to spend a night in that building to experience that just once. I did get a little action on Friday night in my building. I went into an area and climbed to the highest point of a set of stairs and just listened, then I heard it. It sounded like to men talking about something in the very far corner of the room. The thing is, you can never understand what they are saying, it's just words that you can't quite put together. I stayed up there for a few minutes listening, and then walked back down, when I hit the floor was when I lost track of the voices. It was wild. People that I've mentioned this to have each asked me if I was scared, and the simple answer is no. I've always thought of it this way, as long as I'm not touched, I have no problem. Now, the first night which was Thanksgiving night when I experienced the voices and what not for the first time. I do think it drained a lot of energy from me. I felt physically ill the next day, but it only lasted a single day. From all the paranormal shows I watch, they always say that you should deny spirits permission from doing such a thing, so that next day when I was feeling ill, that's exactly what I did. Yeah, you feel really weird talking to open air and saying, Hey that wasn't cool what you did, and you can't do the any more, but if it works it works.

      Enough about the ghost stories, As I said, I have one more week with the companies and then it's on to the new armed position which just happens to be 11 minutes from my house. I will be making quite a bit more money than I have been, which is sorely needed, and I will also save money on gas going to work each day. From what I can gather, I'll more than likely be working 7 days a week for a while. I have no problem with that. I have a lot of bills to catch up on and get things moving in the right direction. The new boss has already told me that I should tell him when I feel like I need a break and then he will hire someone else to come in. This property I'll be on, I will be the only officer on duty. They have been going without for a few weeks or even a month now. He also mentioned that he wants me to be there on the weekends because that is the busiest time and then even if he hires someone else, I would be the lead officer on the site. The site was considered a rough area not too long ago, but it has been cleaned up quite a bit and is looking good. They just opened a brand new fire department across the street, so that is really convenient. My schedule is going to be sporadic, which means that I will be working in the morning to afternoon some days and then afternoon to night on others. It's just to create the illusion that there is an officer always there despite me being the only officer. I know, it's a little bit of a weird situation with me being the only security presence there, but it's going to be ok. 

     My uniform is going to be quite a bit different from the military style shirt and slacks that I've been wearing. I think I mentioned that I'll be looking like Meal Team Six. I'm really hoping you get that reference. It's the look that you see most of the, how should I put this delicately, the racists pieces of garbage that protest with military gear and long rifles. That seemed delicate enough. Anyway, the basic uniform is khaki cargo pants, a black polo (company insignia on it) a plate carrier ( or tactical vest ) and a duty belt with my weapon. He did mention that he wants me kitted out to look proper. Not that I would have to use any of the items, just that the more stuff I have on my vest and belt, the less likely anyone will mess with you. I get the idea. I will mostly have medical supplies with mine. Useful tools so to say. I will of course have my firearm and magazines on my belt with my baton and handcuffs as well. No, I don't have arrest privilege with this job, the handcuffs are more that decoration type of thing, but if an incident does arise where the police are on scene, I can have them at the ready for them to use if they need multiple pairs. My vest will have a blowout kit ( trauma kit ) with the proper supplies to save a life, a not pad and pen, and of course a flashlight. I'll probably stow a knife or two on there as well. Oh, and before you ask, you probably will never see a photo of me in uniform. It's just not my thing. Unless you see me in person, you will never know what my work attire is like.

     Ok, it's been a while for this, but I have a Favorite Song of the Week. I know, I've been a bit lazy with this part of it all. Anyway, it's that time of year again when Kurstin & Grohl get together to celebrate jewish artist and Chanukka. Each year the post 8 videos, one for each night with a different song written by a jewish artist. Last years was the first year that Dave really got his daughter Violet involved and she was outstanding. I have become a big fan of Violet and her ability to simply sing anything. She has a bit of a mimic quality to her, that she will take whatever cover she is singing and not only sing it in the style but in the voice of the original artist and this year's song was no exception. I proudly present to you Janis Eddy Fink's classic, "At Seventeen", Preformed by the one and only Violet Grohl.


     I am so looking forward to Violet's first album. I should remind you that Dave has said that he really wants to be in Violet's band. Anyway, if you enjoy that, you should really go on the deep dive and watch all the years that they have done this. I believe this is the 3rd year. They started during the pandemic to make music and celebrate something that generally isn't celebrated by the whole, and music is always something that can bring people together and expand horizons. 

    Ok, that's it for this week. I'm not exactly sure what my schedule will be next week, but I will try to write again on Monday either after my first shift of the new job or before. I hope you have a wonderful new year full of new adventures and great success. Peace in and goodnight.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations kiddo proud of you. Love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congrats on the new job! Don't work yourself TOO hard (that is, make sure you let them know when you'll need help before you feel like you actually NEED the help).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, but I'm going to work my tail off before that happens. I gots bills to pay.

      Delete
    2. Also... fwhy... it's me... ph0enix! :-)

      Delete