Monday, January 2, 2023

A New Chapter Begins

      One era is over and a new one is about to begin. I finished up my final shift with the former company on Sunday and then went in today to return my uniforms. I start the new job tomorrow. I'll be working 7 days a week for the time being. I was told to give them advanced notice to when I was beginning to get tired. I'm going to shoot for going through the month of January at the least, just so I can catch up on things. I'll be working 8 hour shifts but they will change every couple of days or so. It seems that for the majority of the week days I'll be going in at around noon and leaving at 8, then on the weekends I'll start a little later since those are what are going to be called the busy hours. This is an apartment complex, so you would expect most of the activity to happen on the weekends when people are generally off work, hence the later hours on those days, but that schedule could change every two weeks or so. I say two weeks since that is the current schedule I have, it is for the next two weeks.

     I'm looking forward to this new experience. I've been preparing and almost have everything I need, but the fundamentals are in place: firearm. duty belt, holster, tactical vest, badge, first aid kit, as well as a few other things. Still have a few things to get, but they can wait and aren't quite as important as the stuff above. I did have to trouble shoot something this morning. I was going through a routine with my firearm in what I have planned for my daily, well routine. I had a magazine loaded, placed in the gun, racked the slide then holstered my gun. I did what is referred to as an administrative unload, which is taking the magazine out of the gun while it is in the holster. I then put the magazine in a spare mag holder, drew my gun and attempted to eject the chambered round. My slide had become stuck and I had no idea what was going on. It was clearly the cartridge in the barrel, but I had no way of removing it. The first thought was take it to a gunsmith to get it taken care of, but since everyone is observing the new year today, that option was out, so online I went. Found a few different internet ideas, one of the worst one being, just fire the round and see if it ejects with the slide goes back to slide lock. Yeah, that wasn't happening. Second worst but not as bad, was bang the slide trying to avoid the front of the barrel on a piece of wood until it knocked the slide back. That is just some redneck science right there. The option I went with seemed the safest and most reasonable, which was to just use as much physical force to pull the slide back into slide lock to eject the cartridge. With a mighty effort it worked. The cartridge still didn't fully eject but I was able to pull it out. I then checked that cartridge with others that I have and even though they are both 9mm lugar and 147 grain, they are very different. I then pulled the slide off and took the barrel out so I could see just what was going on. I took the new cartridge and slid it in the barrel and there was a little play, which is what I expected, the one that was jammed slid in, but was very tight and took a little effort to remove form the barrel. I then put the cartridges side by side and the stuck one had a much bigger bullet and the casing was just the slightest bit wider. Now there is a chance that it would fire and extract with the force of the gases and spring on recoil, but I can't take that chance, so I immediately unloaded the magazine and placed all those rounds back in their respective box. I will use the ones that I know will cycle through the weapon. I don't need a potential malfunction when it comes to my life or protecting someone else's. The goal is still never draw my weapon in defense, but in the event that I do, I need to know that it will works as intended.

      Ok, on to stuff that isn't work related. I received a few comments on the last post, and as always they are greatly appreciated, but sometimes I have no idea who they are from, so I'm going to give a little tutorial on how you can put your name in, or some other identifying monicker. When you hit on the comment bar, it will open the area for you to write the comment and also a little pull down window that has Comment as next to it. If you hit that tab it will open options for Google account, Default setting of Anonymous, and Name/URL. Now it used to use the your google account information if you were signed in, but it no longer does that and I have no idea how to get it to work. The anonymous is what we are trying to avoid so that just leaves Name/URL. This one isn't as daunting as it seems, that is the one I use to leave my name as Counterfeitsquirrel. Simply click on that one and type what of identifier you want, just ignore the URL line and write in a name. It doesn't have to be your own name, but please leave something that I might know you by. Like I said I really appreciate the comments, but it's always better when you actually know who they are from. Of course I do have one friend who always leaves little easter egg type of language so I always know why they are. You know who you are kiddo, so they can just keep on keeping on. I really do wish it were easier, but that is the best I can do to help out.

     Oh, just a reminder of just how lame my life is now. I spent New Year's Eve building the lower half of a new gun. I think I mentioned that I was going to build a gun, mostly so I can have the experience of doing it. I have no plans for this other than it being a range weapon. Just cause I built it, well especially because I built it, I don't plan on using it for a home defense weapon. I got real lucky around black friday and found everything I needed for what is referred to as a complete lower receiver, by getting it in pieces and an absurdly reduced price. Mind you, I bought this before all these crazy bills began hitting out of no where. It was a bit of a struggle to build since the videos I was watching, although  really informative, they could have done two things much much better, and that is camera angles and giving full explanations of exactly what they were doing. I think it was more of a case of them knowing very well what they are doing that they don't realize that the majority of the people watching have no clue what they are talking about. With that being said, after completing this part of it, if I ever do it again I can do it without the video help and do it much faster than I did this first time. I guess the hidden blessing in the videos not being incredibly thorough, was that I had to do quite a bit of trial and error, which can sometimes be a better teacher than actual instruction. The other reason I'm doing this is so that I have a better understating of the weapons that I'm using for my own job. By building a gun I know every part of it rather than just knowing how to field strip it for cleaning. You know those scenes in movies were people are blind folded and they strip a gun down and then put it back together. Well, I won't be able to do that, but I can strip it all the way down to a full disassembly and be able to put it back together. That goes far beyond field stripping.

     Ok, I feel like I'm rambling on about things that will probably bore you to tears so here is a picture of my puppies waiting for me to finish burgers today.



     No, The Chonk is not dead, he just simply knows that it all takes time and I will eventually give him something to eat, he just wants to be in exactly were I have to step in order to make sure he is there to receive said food item. Oh, and Morty always looks like he is guilty when food is involved, and Ri Ri is just Ri Ri.

     Ok, that's it for today. I still have no idea why I still have internet, but as long as I do I'll be able to write and update you. The next couple of weeks should change my financial situation so everything should get back to some sort of normalcy, hopefully. Until next week, peace in and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment