Sunday, June 20, 2021

A Flower By Any Other Name Would Be Called The Dee Gees

      Not a whole lot happened this week. I'm trying to avoid a subject that is very popular right now, or at least trending, so let's see how that goes. I'll let you know if I bring it up.

     The lake trail was devoid of people most of the week, so I was out there alone a lot. I did finish The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I have to admit, I did become pretty enthralled by the end of it, but I stand by my original assessment of it being absolutely forgettable. Reason being, I really can't tell you much about it beside the characters being horrible people with the exception of the one lone character that was basically thrown in to make a particular pathetic character even more pathetic, while still being a horrible person. It wasn't to create sympathy for them, it was designed to make them seem even worse for what they did. The idea behind the book was to amplify individuality, which it did, but to make every one of those characters devoid of morals was complete unnecessary, or maybe those are the only people she knew. I can't figure that out at this point, and I have no desire to listen to it again to try and figure it out. 

     I haven't decided what my next book will be, but it will be back to the normal fantasy/fiction that I normally enjoy. I do have a book by David Foster Wallace lined up, because I saw a biopic about him and want to see what his writing was like. I know nothing about it, but I believe it is fiction, and is slightly humor based. I'll let you know when I get to that. I have I think, 4 or 5 books in my library that I haven't listened to yet, so I think I will throw that one in the middle of them all.

     No garden update. I haven't ben able to get out to the nursery to pick up more plants yet, so it's still exactly the same, with the exception of a few weeds that popped up and I pulled this morning. I did get a good picture of one of the blooms from the Desert Rose, so here you go.



    It's quite the fetching flower. I can't wait to finally figure out what I'm going to do with it. Still need to find that right pot for it, so I can display it properly.

     I have some fun music news for you which is really my favorite thing of the week. The band Garbage has a brand new album out, and I was going to choose one of their songs for Favorite Song of the Week, but something else happened that bumped that idea from my head. More on that in just a bit. The new Garbage album is No Gods No Masters. It's a bit of a protest album and I'm here for all of it. Shirley Manson is my spirit guide, and I would follow her anywhere. I believe that this album is just as good if not better than anything they've put out. That is a tall order considering how great their self titled debut album was. They kept their signature sound and added a little more angst to it, with a bit of anger at the system. It's a double album with the first album being that protest album, and the second being a good old fashioned album of covers. They do a version of David Bowie's Starman that I highly recommend listening to. If you have a streaming service you like, try this album out, I'm pretty sure you will add it to your playlist.

    Ok, yesterday I read some really fun news, and I'm pretty excited about it. On July 17th, it's the annual celebration of Record Store Day. To commemorate that day, a ton of artists release new stuff, mainly on vinyl that you can only buy on that day at record stores, and this year might be the best year of them all. The Foo Fighters are losing their name and becoming The Dee Gees and releasing a 5 song EP covering The Bee Gees. The album is called Hail Satin, and I need it in my life. If you are thinking, oh, that sounds ok, but who wants to hear the Foo Fighters do their version of Bee Gees songs. You would be pretty far from what it actually is. They are doing these songs as a Bee Gees Tribute band. You know, covering the songs as close to original as possible, and that means getting those falsetto harmonies in there as well. I've heard one song, but I'm not going to share it, because I can't truly confirm that it really is The Dee Gees doing it. I saw someone post that Barry Gibb actually shared the video, but I didn't verify that, so you will just have to wait until Record Store Day to hear anything, unless the have a surprise release of a track or two. I can tell you from what I heard, it really does sound like Dave Grohl singing in a Barry Gibb esque falsetto, and they do a really good job of getting everything right. Oh, and if you didn't figure out the name yet, it's a play on Dave Grohl's initials D G. 

     Ok, I take it back. I just found this very short teaser video from Record Store Day Canada, that is a promo for the album with the song over it that I heard, so you will get a short sample after all.


     Ok, I feel like I successfully avoided that subject I was talking about above, and kept this lighthearted instead of putting a little controversy into your lives, so I'm going to end this now before I give into temptation. Peace in and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment