Sunday, May 1, 2022

Jumped A Few Hurdles

      This has been a week that seems to not be quite over yet. The not over part is the fact that my internet and cable have not yet been restored even though I've spoken with them twice now, the latest being yesterday which the swore that in a few hours it would be back on. I did learn something from this whole process though. Even when the suspend services they still allow a very small bandwidth to go through, which is how I've been able to watch Netflix, but no other streaming services, and write this right here. There are certain websites I haven't been able to access due to a high bandwidth for the initial site download, which is keeping me from downloading the software for my new printer/scanner. This has been a very big problem but we will get into that later.

     Monday I was able to apply for me concealed carry license and like before they said it could take 40 days and that after 5 weeks I could go to a certain website to check up on it's progress. Since my "D" license came so fast I decided to check the site early and it worked. My license was issued on the 28th and is in the process of being printed and mailed, so I expect it will be here later this week. Why is that license important? Not for the reason you would think, at least not to me anyway. I really don't plan to carry like most people with that license would, but the thing is, that if I do get an armed guard position, that license allows me to transport my firearm to and from the work site. Without that license you could actually get arrested for illegally carrying a firearm even though you are a licensed armed security officer. It's all about the details.

    I began training on site for the new job, but since I will be posted at two different locations, this is only the first round of training. I begin training for the other site later this week. That one is the one I need specific credentials since it will be on Space Center property. The first location is a nice gig. I've already got a handle on the patrols and what I physically need to do, but there are a whole slew of computer related things that need to get done as well, and that will just take me learning the system, which seems pretty simple. My issue is just getting in there and getting a chance to do it first hand. The supervisor is a great guy, but a little slow, especially with the computer, so there was a bit of a situation on Friday where I ended up guiding him through a process I've never seen before so that he could get it done right. In essence, I was instructing him on how to do his job, but I kept it very relaxed and made sure it was more of a collaborative effort and he was leading the course of action. One of the things I learned in my "D" class was, "don't outshine the master". The reason for this is that it can come back to smack you in the face later on. The way I saw the whole thing was it was a learning experience for me with practical real life scenario since it was actually happening in real life and not a simulation. There's also the fact that this supervisor has already made two rather telling statements. 1. He kind of wants to go back to the second shift which is more of a sit back and watch the day go by type of shift, and 2. That I would make a great supervisor. By lifting him up and not making him look bad for not knowing how to do that thing earlier, It keeps a good relationship with him that if he ever decides to step down from the supervisor position, he will recommend me for the post.

     When I was offered this post the hiring manager told me to bring a book or my phone cause you will have plenty of time to just goof around. In my head I said to myself, "nah, that's not me, I'm going to prove to you that you made the right choice in hiring my, but the wrong choice in making it only part time.". I'm going to do my patrols, take my notes, and right great reports, so that I move up in the company as fast as I can. I've already shown that to my own supervisor and he is already looking at letting me pick up more shifts once I finish my training.

      The one issue with all this training is that I have to postpone applying for my "G" license. Oh wait, I buried the lead with that. I successfully qualified for my "G" license. I shot 90% and as I believed, I aced the written part of the test with 100%. After going through this class and the certification I truly believe that anyone who buys a gun should have to go through a class like this. Even though I knew proper gun safety, I learned so much from this class that I didn't know, which tells me that just some schmo coming off the street to buy a gun knows nothing and really should learn. I'm pretty proud of that 90% because it was the number that I would feel happy with to qualify considering it's been 34 years or so since I last shot a gun. I will have to recertify every year, so I plan on raising that 90% quite a bit by the time a recertify next year, or really in 8 months. I will have to get a bunch of range time in there in order to do that, so my goal is to hit it at last once a month and fire off a hundred rounds minimum. The only way I will get better is through practice.

    Ok, now for a little better news. Yeah I know that a most of that was pretty positive stuff, but I've finally been able to clear a few hurdles with the finances. The first one is that I'm finally actually making a paycheck now, which is fantastic, but I was also able to meet with the lawyer that did my mother's trust and she did a huge solid by giving me a discounted rate in order to write up a few documents that would help me out with things, which they did. I was finally after a month of effort, able to close my mother's bank accounts and free up that money. I've already divided that amount appropriately and checks are on their way. I'm having a little bit of a hang up with PayPal in that they are only allowing me to transfer so much into my account which I need in order to pay back that family member that gave me the life saving loan. If you are reading this I know that we have already spoken, but it is all in the process. Right now it's looking like it could take until the end of next week but it will be paid back soon. I know you aren't all that concerned about it, but I am and want to see this done sooner rather than later. It was a truly wonderful thing that you did so I don't want to delay the return. The problem is also that they are taking 3-5 days to process each transfer and it doesn't tell me how much is in the process, so I have to wait and see if the first to transfers have taken hold and then I will hopefully get the final transfer in so that I can send that money along it's merry way. I will be happy and relieved once that is over. 

     The lawyer also helped me with another document that allows me to get the simple IRA account of my mother's freed up. I've sent that document along with a death certificate so it's a matter of time for that one. That will be the last account that I have to divide up and then I should be done with that whole process, which has been hanging over me like the pendulum in Edgar Allen Poe's Pit and the Pendulum. Please tell me you know what I'm talking about, cause I'm not going to explain it any further than that. The last one which I'm having an issue with, and need the internet for is the annuity. That one only pertains to me so it's not a huge deal if I don't take care of it, but the company wants me to scan in all the documents and email it to them, so they never gave me a hard address to send it to. I have all the documents ready but since I'm still dealing with getting the internet re activated, I'm in a stand still with it. When I requested the appropriate documents I did have them send hard copies as well, since this is the second time dealing with them over this because they never sent me the email the first time. If I can't get this internet reinstated in time, I'm hoping the hard copies come with a return address. Now that I'm working and I've got the balls rolling on the last financial thing that I need to divide, I'm not all that concerned with money. I can make what I need to live so if I never see the money from that annuity it won't be a big deal.

      Oh, after taking care of the bank I did celebrate by going to the record store. I had to miss Record Store Day, since I was doing that "G" training this weekend, so I did miss out on a few things that I wanted it. Turns out the Taylor Swift release was the big one to get and it is all gone. I did get one of the David Bowie releases, so I'm happy about that, and I was able to pick up the release from St. Vincent. I"m content with that. Sure I'm bummed I didn't get those other records, but they won't break me. I'm in a very good place right now and I'm going to just keep riding this high for now and see where it takes me.

     I don't have any picture this week. I'll hopefully spread my mom's ashes this week and get the mulch down on the garden so it will like right and proper for a good photo. I did get some plants that I'm sure that my mom would approve of and they are in the ground. I'm just waiting for a good day to spread her ashes before putting that mulch down. I had plans to do all of this earlier but you know about best laid plans and all.

      Ok, time for Favorite Song of the Week, and I'm going back to Harry Styles again. I'm telling you this kid has something that I really like and this is a great song from his first solo album. He does have brand new song out that will definitely bee a FSOTW in the future. Here is Harry Styles with his song "Two Ghosts".

 

     That's a great song right there. Give this guy a chance and you won't be disappointed.

     Oh, I do have one last thing to talk about and I can't believe I nearly forgot about it. On Thursday I got a text with and audio file from my "G" instructor. He had contracted Covid from apparently someone in the class. Now I think I mentioned that the guy sitting next to me was showing possible symptoms during the 3 days I was there, but get this, I don't think it was him. I truly think he did have allergies as he was saying. The instructor normally stood in the same location in the class room which was by the table across the aisle or other side of the room from my table. One of the gentlemen at that time also texted that they were having symptoms. I think that it was the other guy that was sitting at that table that brought it into the room. This is also the guy that I'm absolutely sure I will see on the news some day that he shot somebody on duty and that it will not be a righteous shooting. The funny thing about this is that my instructor went on a rant about how Covid was all a hoax and that if it were true then everyone already had it and it's over. Guess he found out that wasn't quite the case. He is doing better since he went and got the monoclonal antibodies, not sure what the other guy did though or how many other people felt symptoms. I immediately contacted everyone I had come in contact with to let them know of potential infection. I never experienced any symptoms at all so guess what? The vaccine works. I'm double boosted and either that fought off the virus completely or I was asymptomatic all week. I can say that no one I came into contact with has experienced any symptoms either, so I'm leaning on the, it complete fought it off train of thought and I never caught it. So get that vaccine it does it's job.

    Ok, that's it for this week, oh yeah there was one more thing I wanted to say today. If you were expecting pictures of me in uniform or of my pistol, I'm sorry but those are never going to be taken. For several reasons but mostly because that just isn't who I am at all. I have no desire to display my firearm to the world or what I look like in uniform. Goodnight and peace in.

No comments:

Post a Comment