Monday, July 5, 2021

A Time To Say Goodbye

     I had to write to give you an update today, because it was not the update I really wanted to give. I had to say goodbye to The Schnuggie this morning. I was able to get an appointment very early despite it being the same day. I took her in, knowing deep down in my heart that it very well could be the last time I see her. The growth was exactly what it always was, just a sak filled with fluid, and no impact on her breathing condition. That was something else entirely and it was my worst fear. As soon as the doctor came back in to show me the X-ray, I knew it as soon as it lit up. Her lungs were ravaged with cancer. I've been unfortunate in my life to see what cancer looks like on an X-ray far too many times to not recognize it right away. Before the doctor could even lay the options out to me, I had already made up my mind. I had made this decision a few days ago with the feeling that cancer could be involved, and when it was on this large of a scale there was no doubt in what had to be done. I didn't want The Schnuggie, my baby girl to suffer more than she had too.

     The doctor brough The Schnuggie back in with the intravenous catheter in place so I could spend some time with her. As much as I wanted to spend all the time in the world with her, I knew that it was prolonging not only her pain, but mine as well. The doctor and a tech came in do administer the injection and The Schnuggie went peacefully as I stoked her back and gave her butt scratches. There was no incident and it was as if she just simply laid down to sleep.



   
    This was the last photo I took of her as I was saying my farewell to her. She was such a special dog and I will miss her greatly. I know that she can finally fully relax the way I always wanted her too. I just hope that I gave her the best two years of her life and that she enjoyed her time in this house. 

Goodbye Baby Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment