Saturday, June 25, 2016

Helmets and Riding.

     I rode a lot this week, and I realized that I can't stand my helmet anymore. I have one on pre-order, but it was pushed back until the end of July I couldn't wait for that one to show up, so I ordered another one that I've been looking at. I think I'm going to be very happy with it. It's and Arai XD-4 It's a dual sport helmet, and is light weight. It has a billed visor with plenty of air vents to keep my head cool in the Florida heat, and has enough room inside so that I can wear my glasses or sunglasses when I have my contacts in. That was big selling point for me. My current helmet, I couldn't wear my glasses with it, and since I have a smoked shield on it, I can't really see very well at night with it. This new helmet will alleviate that problem. I can wear sunglasses during the day, and just use the shield at night. Here is a picture of the helmet

     I went with the black, even though they make one that is red, white, and black that may go better with my bike, but the red is a flat red, so black does just fine. I also have this key chain, that after yesterdays ride seems appropriate.

      I finally got Saki out on the highway, and it likes to go fast. I got it up to 95 MPH with no problem and very quickly. The weird thing is, that was the fastest I've been on a bike, and it didn't worry me in the least. I felt real comfortable at that speed. I of course slowed down, because it was far exceeding the speed limit, but I only managed to get it down to the low 80's. It felt real good and probably the closest I will ever feel to actually flying on my own.

     Back to the helmet for a second. I know what you are thinking, "What do you need with two helmets? Why not just wait until the other one arrives, or cancel the order and just get the one?". Those are great questions, and I pondered those in my own mind when I was deciding to buy the Arai helmet. The plain and simple answer is, I'm going to need two helmets anyways. I will have a back up if anything happens to either one of these helmets, and also, it gives me one if anyone wants to ride on the back with me. They are going to have go be able to fit in a medium sized helmet though, otherwise they are going to have to have their own.

     I went to the grand opening of a new craft brewery in the area last night. I have to say, that overall, I was disappointed. They only had one good beer on tap, and the rest were mediocre at best. They could always improve, but until I hear from someone else that goes back and has s good beer there, I won't be going out of my way to go there. A lot of people thinks that they can make craft beer, but it is very difficult to make it, and make it well. Fortunately there is a brewery in the area, that does it just as good if not better, than anyone else. There are two more breweries set to open this year, and I'm hoping for a better showing by them. The one that I like is quite a distance from my house, and the two new ones that are opening are much closer. One is even within bicycling distance. If they are good, then I will have more choices of places to get a good craft beer.

I did want to show you the actual video for Heathens by Twenty One Pilots. Hopefully this will work. Here is a link to the video, since I can't seem to find it in the drop down menu. Heathens-Twenty One Pilots And with that I bid you, peace in and goodnight.

6 comments:

  1. It is a great idea to have a second helmet. I always do now since I had it happen to me before where one got damaged and I was caught not being able to ride until I replaced it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two more helmets besides the one that I currently ride with. One is a modular that the face shield doesn't look down on, and a half shell that is only for emergencies. I'll feel much better when the new ones arrive.

      Delete
  2. My friend actually had somebody his his parked bike, and the helmet took most of the damage. He always has at least 2 or 3 spares, and unforeseeable instances are part of the reason. I will spend more on a helmets than on all the rest of my gear combined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the one pictured above is actually more expensive than the one that is on pre-order, but it will be worth every penny.

      Delete
  3. Check out this one: http://uncrate.com/stuff/montblanc-urban-spirit-motorcycle-helmet/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a really cool helmet, but when I went to the montblanc website, I couldn't find it. I really dig the open face with the goggles.

      Delete