Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Twenty One Pilots, Jack Kerouac, and Superstition.

     I would love to start out with a great act from America's Got Talent, but it came on an hour later tonight, due to the U.S. Olympic trails. I"m recording it, so hopefully, I will have a clip for you on Saturday night.

     Today we had another horrible terrorist attack, this time in Istanbul, Turkey. My heart goes out to the people of Turkey tonight. They are in a constant struggle for their way of life and freedom, and it has become for difficult with everything that has been going on around their borders. Be strong and know that I stand beside you.

     I'm going to see my favorite band play this weekend. Twenty One Pilots will be doing a show at the Amway Arena. It will be the largest venue that I have seen them play in. This will also be my sixth time seeing the. A mere 12 days after that, I will see them for the 7th time in Colorado at Red Rocks. I have been lucky enough to have seen a show there before, and it is amazing. The band I saw was someone that just happened to be playing when I was there, and I wanted to see a show there. This time though, I will get to see Twenty One Pilots play on that historic stage, with Denver as the back drop. I'll make sure to get at least one picture to post here so that you can see my view. I will only take that one picture though, I don't like taking my phone out during concerts. I'd much rather watch the show with my own eyes, and keep it as a memory, than to watch it on a tiny screen and miss out on everything around me.


     This was my view for that show. I'll try to get a better shot than this, but you get the idea. For those of you that don't know Red Rocks Amphitheater is carved out of a mountain. You walk up several flights of stairs to get to it, and you come in through the bottom near the stage. You then walk up several more flights of giant stairs to get to your seat, and when you turn around, that is when you see the stage, and Denver off in the distance. I"m not sure if you can see it in this picture, but right above the stage, you can see a straight line of lights in Denver. That is Colfax Avenue. It was once dubbed, "The longest, wickedest street in America". Colfax was where everything happened good and bad, and inspired several writers, artists, and just all around malcontents. One of my favorite writers, Jack Kerouac, wrote about it in "On the Road". This trip, I'm even going to make a stop at My Brothers Bar, which was an old hangout of Jack's. I'm hoping for a little inspiration of my own, but I'll settle for a great burger and a whiskey, beer, or both.

     My new helmet should arrive tomorrow, so I'll give you my review of the Arai XD-4 on Saturday. Although, there is a strong forecast of rain for the rest of the week here, so I may not be able to give that review until the weather decides to cooperate. I'll do my best.

     I bet you thought I was going to forget about My Favorite Song of the Week. Good news, I hadn't. I had a song in my head for the past two days, and I knew it was the one. We are going to go back a bit for this one. I love funk, and although this artist isn't primarily known for funk, he definitely brought it on this song. I'm talking about none other than, Stevie Wonder, and his song "Superstition". You can't think of funk and not have this song come across your mind. It has everything in it, the beat that makes you want to shake your booty, groovy guitar licks, keyboards that will melt your eardrums,  and a baseline that will curl your toes. Why am I typing so much, and not just letting you get to the song? Here it is, Stevie Wonder with one of the greatest songs of all times, "Superstition".


     That's it for tonight. Have a wonderful rest of the week, and more importantly, peace in and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment