Sunday, September 10, 2017

Irma Is Knocking On The Back Door.

     It's 6 o'clock in the morning. I woke up early to watch Moto GP while the power is still on. Irma has shifted far to the west and the eye is going to go over St. Petersburg, Florida now. That puts me out of the major impact zone, but not completely out of danger. I am on the Northeast corner of the storm, and that is the deadliest part of any hurricane. That is where all the cyclonic energy is. That means tornados. Since the storm is going to be on the other side of the state, it shouldn't be as bad here, but I am currently under a tornado warning for the next several hours. Right now that is mostly south of me. I went outside just before sitting down to write this, and I'm getting light rain and winds. I'd put wind gusts at maybe 20 mph right now. That will change later today.

     Once the storm gets around the lower edge of the state and the feeder bands start to reach out to this area, the winds and rain will increase. I'm expecting winds in the 60 to 70 mph range, which is nothing like we were going to get if the storm went along the original expected path. I still expect to lose power at some point today. With sustained winds of at least 50 mph, the power lines won't hold up for long.

     I did get out and ride a little bit and made not 1 but 2 videos for you to watch. I kept them as brief as I could, and you can get a little look at what is going on in this area ahead of the storm.



      I introduce you to my new helmet in this one, as well as show you Elie's helmet. I found something out about Elie's helmet after filming this. I was looking at it so that I could clean it up, and I noticed something very unusual. As you could see in the video, she took a shot directly on the chin from the hood of the truck, but what you can't see in the video, is that that shot bent the helmet out of shape. It actually bent the chin bar over about a half inch. I noticed it when I dropped the internal visor and saw that it was off center from the nose guard. If there was any doubt in your mind at all, that that helmet saved her life, I hope that that little piece of information changes your mind. If you ride, think very seriously about wearing a helmet, and not just a half shell or open face, but a full face helmet. It just could save your life as well.

     Before I get into the next video, I just wanted to share some good shots of the new helmet. I still haven't ridden in it yet and I will get that video put together and up as soon as I can, but I did try it on, and it feels great. The helmet is an AGV K5 S Hero. It fits snug but not tight, which is what you want.There is no movement while it is buckled down. About the buckle, it is long, which I really appreciate. My other helmet straps seem short to me, and because of that they are difficult to get on at times. The AGV has an internal visor, but it may be difficult to use. It seems very stiff right now. Maybe that will loosen up with time, but it may be an issue when I have gloves on, to get that visor in place to block the sun. I'll have better information on that after I've ridden in it. I'll do a whole review with footage of me riding in it.



















      Sharp looking helmet right? I'm really looking forward to riding in it. This is going to be my daily rider. Now on to the next video.



     That was yesterday. Not a whole lot to see there, but it will give you an idea on how things are going. I'm going to be getting footage as I can during the storm, and then after. I'll post that as soon as I have power again. Yes, I'm going to lose power, it's just a matter of time. I may be doing updates on Instagram. If I do, I will be limiting them so that I don't use too much of my battery. I have a power bank that should charge my phone about 3 times,  plus that JBL speaker that I got is a power bank as well. I'm not sure how many charges I can get out of that, but I have it fully charged and ready to go when I need it.

     I doubt that I will have power by Tuesday, so this is probably going to be the last post for possibly a week, maybe longer, it depends on how the power company prioritizes this area for power. Since nothing important is on this grid, it will be one of the last ones that they get to. I'll post something as soon as I can, even if it's not on the normal schedule. until then, peace in and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment