Thursday, May 9, 2019

Sometimes Your Problems Aren't So Big

     Today started out as one of the most miserable days on record. I was having minor panic attacks as soon as I woke up, and it was stressing me out in a big way. The drive to work was long and gave me way too much time to overthink things, which was causing me more stress. I got to work are found out that the job that was on the schedule for today, had finally come through, and since I had no idea if it was going to happen or not, that caused me more stress. I stopped on my way to the shop and got gas, to fill up the beater van that had been left for me to use. Oh, did I mention that beater van before. It's a pile of garbage that may or may not work at any given time, and I was supposed to drive it once it had fuel in it. It has a broken fuel gauge, so no one knew that it was truly out of gas. I went to put the 3 gallons of fuel that I bought in the van and it came pouring out from underneath. I panicked. I laid on the ground and looked to see what was gone, and the filler pipe was connected to nothing. More stress. I had to load up the small vehicle that we have to do my job today, more stress.

     I finally got in the small vehicle and the seat was stuck all the way back, which meant that I had to stretch to reach the peddles. It sucked, and caused more stress.

      Things began to change about half way to St. Cloud, that is where I was working today. The seat finally moved forward and I could finally start to relax a little. I got to the house, and had a little trouble getting into the yard to get started. I talked to the woman at the house, and she was very nice. She explained to me, that about two weeks ago, they had a kitchen fire, and that things were a disaster in the house, but she wanted me to do the job anyway. I went in, and one of the things that was specific in my paperwork hadn't been done. I talked to the woman, and we worked out a plane, where I would take care of the problem, and then get started on my job.

     The job went rather smooth. The woman came into check up on the progress, and I was just finishing up. She was blown away at how it looked (not patting myself on the back, those were her own words). She asked me about the extra thing that I did, and mentioned that my company had told her that there was a very sizable charge for doing it. I told her not to worry about it. I wasn't even going to mention that it was done. She couldn't believe what I was saying. I reassured her that it was all done and never had to be mentioned. Before any of you go to the gutter, it was physical labor that was supposed to be done in preparation for me to do my job. Anyway, she told me that she was going to take care of me, when it was time to pay the bill. I finished up the final steps of the job and took the paperwork out to her. When I was done collecting payment, she gave me a very large tip, and when I say very large, this is one of those tips that not only make your day, but make your month. She basically gave me a normal trainee day's pay.

     It was my turn to be blown away. I asked her if she was sure, and then graciously accepted the money and told her how much I appreciated it. She told me that I hooked her up and actually saved her money, so she was glad to do it. She had a rough couple of weeks, and she was due for a shining moment, and I guess the work I did was just a little glimmer of a shining moment.

     She had told me that she was going away somewhere for the weekend and forgetting all of her troubles for a few days. I told her to just get somewhere peaceful and relax and enjoy a well deserved great weekend.

     My day started out crappy, and then I saw someone who was having a much worse day, week, two weeks, and could contend into a month. It put a little perspective on my problems, and shook me out of it. I never put my problems on anyone, and when I met her at the door, I put on my fake smile and silver lined the crap out of those grey clouds. Maybe that was the difference. Fake it until you make it, right? I think I lifted her spirits, and without her even knowing it, she lifted mine as well.

     The world rotates and always finds new ways to surprise you. This was one of those days. Have a great weekend. Peace in and goodnight.

2 comments:

  1. What goes around comes around. Good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn’t that replacement van registered in New York? There’s no way it passed the yearly inspection with a broken fuel gauge and a disconnected filler pipe.

    ReplyDelete