Tuesday, July 26, 2016

The Girl with the Mousy Hair.

     Since I didn't post a Favorite Song of the Week last week, I'm going to kick this off with one, but first, a little about this artist and the brief history I have of with this particular song. The artist is Aurora, and I first heard of here when the song I'm going to play for you was put at the end of an Episode of "Girls". I was mesmerized at how good it was, and a small part of me wondered if it was because of the imagery of the final scene in that episode. It all went together so well. My wonders were turned to reality when I heard her perform yesterday on the Howard Stern show.

     Howard was also a fan of the song. He heard it in the same place that I did. On my 365, I directed people towards this song. I don't remember if I had a link to Youtube or I just told people to look it up. Howard a few days after I had done that, played the song on his show, and talked about how much he loved it. He brought it full circle on Monday's show when he had Aurora on. I knew nothing about her, as did everyone else in the listening audience. I had just heard the song. To say that I fell head over heels in love with her from this interview, would be an understatement. I wasn't the only one either. Many people called in today to say the same thing. Here is the thing about her, she is wonderfully weird. She talked about how she doesn't have a significant other, because she collects dead moths. Her accent is adorable, she is from Norway. When asked if she had ever met Bob Dylan, it came up because she mentioned how much she appreciated his talent, she said she had met him in a dream. She was truly unique and original. She sees life through different eyes, and that is alluring.

     On to the song already. The song is a cover of David Bowie's "Life on Mars". It is haunting an beautiful. In the version she did on The Howard Stern Show, you could hear the slightest bit of nerves creep in, and it gave it an even more intimate feel. She was exposing everything in it, so that is the version I have for you. Oh, real quick before I play the song. I learned a new trick by playing around with this little blog here, and I learned how to put an embedded player into it. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it's a huge feat for me. I highly suggest that you listen with headphones on, so that you can hear every little nuance in her voice. It does make a difference. Without further adieu here is Aurora with "Life on Mars".


     The studio version of this song is fantastic, but this version just brings it to a whole other lever. David Bowie when asked about what the song was about said, "That it was about a Sensitive young girl's reaction to the media". This song was finished before he died, so I hope that he got to hear it. I believe that he would say, that he must have written it for her to sing. She is, that young girl. If you read this on Tuesday night, you may have a chance to see her perform on the Stephen Colbert show. I believe she will be doing one of her original songs, called "I Went Too Far". It's a very good song as well, and I hope you get the chance to see her sing in live on that show. Look her up, she is well worth your time. Here is a link to her site to help you out. Aurora She has a video of her single up on there for you to take a gander at. Quick funny story about when Howard read out her site. He said aurora dash music dot com. She was blown away about the dash. She had no idea what that little thing was called. They told her that the real name is a hyphen but they shorten to dash. She said that dash was a beautiful word, and she loved it. Like I said wonderfully weird, and easy to fall in love with.

     I could talk about Aurora all night long, but that was yesterday, and today was the first night of the  live shows for America's Got Talent. The live shows are where the exceptional part from the very good, and tonight was no exception. My opinion for the best act of the night, was the opening act, Jayna Brown. She is only 14 years old, but she commanded the stage and crowd as if she were a seasoned pro. Here is the video of her performance.



     Let me know what you think. I think she is destined to be a star. I could see her being a Whitney Houston type. She has a voice that can sing anything, and make it sound like a chorus of angels.

     With those two songs, I believe that I have taken up enough of your time tonight, but if you have a little more, go back up to that soundcloud clip from Aurora, and click on the Howard Stern name to the right of the arrow. I believe they have a good deal of her interview on there. You too, can fall in love with her. Peace in and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment