Thursday, January 10, 2019

I Passed

     I am officially employed. I filled out all the online stuff like setting up my direct deposit, and tax information. Unfortunately they can't get me into an orientation until next Thursday, so that is my official start day. They like to do orientation with all new employees in the area, so the orientation location roams from store to store. They have to get back to me once they know where I'll be going.
I'm really happy and excited about this. I'm going to be learning a whole new set of skills, and a new area. I'll be working in retail, but on a different end than sales. It's going to be a great deal different than what I was doing before, but the skills I learned there are going to help me out at the new place.

     I also got a response back from a photography job that I applied for. I have an interview with them on Monday. This is also going to be fun, if I get it. It will be with a difficult subject though. I'll basically be a school photographer. Remember when you had class picture. Something like that, but with much younger kids. There in lies the challenge. This is going to help me out a lot with my portrait photography. I think I'm pretty decent with portraits, but I need, and want to get a lot better. They do offer some training, since I will be using their equipment, which may be better than what I'm using, so the chance to use better cameras, is a definitely plus. It won't pay very much, and the schedules goes along with the school year, but it is a chance to do something I really love and get paid for it, so I'm all for the adventure.

     I'll have to keep my belt tightened down, but I've been doing that for 6 months now, and have gotten quite used to it, so that shouldn't be a problem at all. I'll work my way up the ladder, the way I know I can. People always seem to always want to start at the top of things, but I want to start at the start. I want to learn everything about what I'll be doing, and then apply that knowledge to help me succeed and prosper. Things are worth working for. You don't always have to get it all at once. It isn't rewarding when you get things like that. At least not for me. This is about peace of mind and doing something that I really like doing. I think both jobs are going to be fun new adventures that are in a much better work environment than I was in before. That alone is worth the cut in pay.

     Enough of the job talk, let's talk about something creative. I did get a photo of that piece that I was working on as a test for the new wand stand I plan on making for a friend. You can see what I did, and where I went wrong. I haven't had a chance to work anymore on it, but this is the basis for the whole design.


     I may play around a little with the overall shape, but where I went wrong was at the top of the Deathly Hallows symbol. I got a little to grind happy and cut through where it was supposed to be solid. I leaned form that mistake, to slow it down, and take more time. I'm still going to try another option where the areas that are raised in that will be the cut out, just so I can see if it looks better than that. I do think that looks pretty cool, and would look great if done right and completed. Oh, back to that overall shape. What I'm talking about, is adding more roundness to that back side, or I may just take that extra concave bend out of it there, and take it all the way up to the arch in the area that looks like a handle. I'm not sure, when I sketch it out on the wood. I'll put lines for both ways, and see what looks best and then begin cutting. I'm going to try to work on that other test with the symbol tomorrow. If it looks decent, I'll put a picture up and you can tell me which version of the symbol you like best. It will still come down to the final opinion of my friend on what she wants, but I'll take all opinions and criticism about it, so I can do a better job with each piece that I make.

     Today was the launch of a new TPR review, so you know I have a video for you. This was a place that did a Napoli style of pizza. If you don't know what that style is, you definitely need to watch the video and maybe check out the blog. This is the style that started all pizza, and this one was really good. One of my favorite pizzas that we have tried, so far.



     Yes, we are a couple of nitwits, that don't speak Italian, and it is evident in this video. We screwed up the name of the restaurant more times then I could count. It is Mangia and Bevi Pizzeria Napoletana. Mangia is pronounced like manja. For some reason that was nearly impossible for us, but we got the video down, and I thought it came off pretty good. Let me know what you think.

     I'm off to bed, so that I can wake up and start working on that Deathly Hallows symbol. I hope to have a picture of it for you on Sunday, but no promises. Peace in and goodnight.

3 comments:

  1. Yay on the new job!! But, wow, I REALLY hope you also get the photography job. Not only do I think you'll be amazing, but I'm pretty sure it will fuel some interesting stories and topics on CS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Counterfeit SquirrelJanuary 11, 2019 at 8:08 AM

      I never thought about the impact it could have on the CS, but you are right. This could lead to some fun and interesting stories.

      Delete