Sunday, April 26, 2020

The Beauty Of Gardening

     I'm going to go a little against the grain tonight, and discus
s the beauty of growing your own food. I've talked about this a little in the past, but It was only little tastes of it, and frankly, I don't really have anything to talk about tonight, so let's go.

     First up is one you've already seen, and that is the Scarlet Chili. I knew it was going to go from a deep eggplant purple to red, but I had no idea that the transition was as colorful as it is. It's truly striking and a bit psychedelic.


    That's pretty cool right? Anyway, I have a few peppers tonight and that might be the most striking of all of them. The next is a unique Scotch Bonnet, that is repining a bit differently than I have seen before. Generally, it will ripen from top to bottom, and go from green to yellow, and then it will slowly darken all over to a yellow/orange. This one went a different route, and seems to be doing everything at one time.


     The dark spots are just dirt, nothing to worry about. Right now, it has fully made the transition to it's yellow/orange color and is ready to be eaten, but I'm going to hold off until more are ripe. The second one began ripening today, and it is back to the old school way of making that transition. Have I mentioned that I love the flavor of the Scotch Bonnet? I believe I have.

     Next up is a pepper that I haven't tried yet, but I will soon. This picture was taken during the ripening process, and I'm not sure if it's ready to pick yet. Pictures of ripe ones, have it a solid bright red, and this is still a shade of dark crimson with the purple still bleeding through. This is the Purple UFO, and it's supposed to have some really good heat involved in it. I've been told habanero level, and possible higher, so this one should be really good.


     I know I've shown you the fist pepper before, but here are a bunch of them in all their glory. They were created to have an unripe white color so that they would blend into chowders, but they are pretty good when they are fully ripe and red. Quite honestly, I've never tried them in their unripe state, so I don't know what the flavor is like. I picked these this morning so that they could go in dinner tonight. That will be the back to normal portion of this. I got pictures of dinner and I want to share. Anyway, this is the fish pepper.


     You can see a little of the variegation in the peppers, and the stems. It's such a unique and cool plant. I just wish the peppers were a little hotter. They have been hit and miss. Only 1 out of those 4 had some heat to it. These were drastically undersize too, so that could be playing into it. I have some larger ones ripening up right now, so we will see.

     Next on the list is the last photo of the garden for you. This is the Ise pepper, and the Sunrise Bumblebee tomatoes. The Ise is actually labeled as a sweet pepper that is mild, which had me wondering since all these other medium heats were coming up mild, this one might just surprise me the other way and be hot, but it wasn't. The flavor was intense, and tasted like a fruit punch that was leaning towards grape. The flavor lingered a lot longer than most other pepper as well. I really liked this pepper, and it goes to the top of my list of best tasting peppers. The Sunrise Bumblebees are really the second set of tomatoes to ripen on the plant. The first set were eaten by Morty. He loves tomatoes especially when he is not supposed to eat them. They aren't just pretty, but they have the flavor to match. This is one of those tomatoes that you an eat right off the plant. The flavor has this nice zing to it, and light citrus notes in it, with a hint of tomatoey goodness. If you ever have a change to try these or grow them, I hight suggest that you do. You will not be disappointed. They went on the top of tonights dinner, which is still coming up.


     How great do those look? Oh, I plan on getting some vanilla ice cream (keto friendly of course0 tomorrow and I'm cutting up that Ise, and an El Rito which has a really sweet and fruity flavor as well, and putting it in the ice cream, I just get this feeling that it's going to be really good. I'll take pictures and let you know for Tuesday night.

     Time for dinner. I still have a lot of vegan meat substitutes, that I've been working on getting rid of, so tonight was a vegan dinner night. It was Gardein, ground beef, and Italian sausage, with riced cauliflower, fish peppers, and spinach, and topped with those Sunrise Bumblebees. Despite the fact that it was loaded with all kinds of anti-nutrients, it was really tasty with those tomatoes being the best part. 


     Once I get rid of all that Gardein, I will not get it again. It is loaded with soy, which is ok if you have it occasionally, which is how I eat it. There is also the fact that soy farming destroys the land and biosystems for years. You see, soy is an annual, which farmers have to abandon those fields and expand to new area each year. What is left behind is basically a disaster area that nothing will grow for years, unless they treat the soil, which isn't cost affective for them, so they expand, chop down forests and destroy ecosystems. I'm sure I will get some people saying that it isn't true, but it is. Just like factory farming of cattle, which I am highly agains, farming farming of produce also wrecks the planet. Once again, there is also the fact that soy isn't really all that good for you, in large amounts. 

     Ok, it sounds like I'm getting to political, and I wanted this to be a joy of plants and the beauty that they have. Peace in and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment