Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The Final Five

     I really don't have much to write about tonight. Work has been uneventful, and I haven't even put any thought into a Favorite Song of the Week, so I guess that will have to come to me, somewhere in the body of all this.

     There are two things that I've forgotten to mention to you. The first one is, that I received the newest Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I haven't started reading it yet, because I'm worried that it won't be as good as the original series. I just need to get over that, and start reading it already. Normally I would have been done with this days ago.

     The second thing, and probably the most important thing of all time, is that I sat down Sunday and watched Sharknado 4: The Fourth Awakens. Now when I tell you that this series of movies are the best ever, you are going to say that I'm nuts. Well, we already established that a long time ago, but with that in mind, these movies are the best, the best at being very bad. That is where the charm lies. These films are so bad, that they are amazing. You can't stop watching them for fear that you will miss some cliche on top of a cliche. They are completely overacted, and ridiculous, which is exactly what they are meant to be. You can't stop laughing during them, and you don't want to miss any cameo that comes on the screen. Half the fun is trying to figure out who each person really is. Some are rather easy, like Gary Busey, or David Hasselhoff, but then you have Adrian Zmed showing up, and you rack your brain a bit to figure out where you saw that person last. Just to make things even more ridiculous than they possibly could be, each famous celebrity of yesteryear, all get eaten by sharks in gratuitous ways. If you get the chance, and have absolutely nothing better to do one day, sit down and watch these movies, they will make you laugh, and then you will more than likely question your life decisions, for having watched them. I can't wait until they do another one, and they did leave it open ended to do another one. I hope they do 10 more. Ian Zerring will be 80 years old, running around with a chainsaw cutting great white sharks out of the sky.

     Now on to something a little more important. I watched the Olympic coverage tonight. They were focused on Swimming and Women's Gymnastics, and those are two of my favorite Summer Olympic events. First up, was the first half of the Womens' all arounds, with team USA heavily favored to take the gold. Now I know that NBC breaks up the coverage so that people will stay tuned in, but I am now sitting here past midnight on a work night writing  this, when I should have done it two hours ago. After the first half, they went to the pool where team USA was dominating in the water as well. Michael Phelps regained his title in the 200 butterfly, and his bitter rivalry with then South African swimmer now seems to be over. He didn't even place in the medals, so all the trash talking was just that, trash.

     I wanted to get back to the women's gymnastics. This was my first time getting to see Simone Biles, and she is what everyone is saying about her. She is the best women's gymnast that I have ever seen. Her body moves in ways that a human should not be able to move in. She is vastly superior than any other competitor right now. Even when she has a hiccup in her routine, her routine is so difficult that even with deductions  she still scores higher than anyone else on the floor. She is simply amazing. If you haven't seen her yet, take the time when the individual gymnastics competition comes on to sit down and watch her. You will be saying the same thing that I was, WOW!.

     This isn't a spoiler, because it is already out on several different sources. The women of team USA won the gold. They won in pretty much a landslide. The last points total I saw, had them up by 7 points, and that was before the final floor exercise. The never put the final totals up, so i didn't see them. I'm sure if I did the slightest bit of searching online, I would find it, but where is the fun in that? After the ladies took the all around, the finally revealed their name, you know, like the Sensational Seven of years gone by. The ladies chose the name the Final Five, because they are the final five women that will be trained by Marta Karolyi. She is the wife of famed trainer Bella Karolyi. If you don't know who he is, you better look him up. He trained the likes of Nadia Comaneci, Mary Lou Retton, and who could forget Kerri Strug? Marta took over the program, when the individual coaches got fed up with Bella's overbearing style. This is Marta's final year as head of the program, and I believe she will be missed, but she set up a program that should thrive as long as no one screws with it.

     It was a great night for the good ol' US of A. They added to their medal count, and made a  great deal of history today, and I''m sure there is more to come. I'm tired, so I'm heading off to bed. Peace in and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment