Thursday, October 20, 2016

We Are Going To Funky Town.

     Nothing remotely exciting happened today. I listened to my favorite podcast, it is Thursday after all. It's Greg Proop's Smartest Man in the World Vodkast. Vodkast is a play on his favorite drink, which just so happens to be vodka. It's a great podcast, but be fair warned, Greg is very liberal in his politics, and if that isn't your cup of tea, than perhaps his podcast isn't either. Anyway, that is where I heard that the prolific Rod Temperton died. Wait, what? Who is Rod Temperton? How dare you. seriously though, I get it. It isn't a name that is easily recognizable, but it should be. He was a musician, producer, and songwriter. He wrote a few songs you may even know. Songs like, Triller, Rock With You, and Off The Wall. Those are only the songs he wrote for Micheal Jackson. He got his start in a British Funk/Disco band called Heatwave. His most notable hit, is also a song you may know. Ok, you might not, but there is a slim chance. My love of Disco and Funk has had to rub off a bit by now.



     That's the one, Boogie Nights. That's just some good funk there. I highly suggest that you look him up, and look at the songs that he wrote, and maybe take a chance to listen to a few of them. You might just find yourself dancing. Rod Temperton is swirling as the new ambassador of funk in the ether.

     Remember when I mentioned that on The Howard Stern on Sirius XM, that he had gotten 14 bands to cover the songs on The Beatles Revolver album? I think I forgot to mention, that I listened to it. It was fantastic, but there was one song that really stood out to me. It was by a group that I had never heard before, and I am now a fan of. The group is a Mother/Son team, called Madisen Ward and the Mama Bear. From what I understand they are from Mississippi. I didn't look that up, so I could be wrong, and right now, I'm too lazy to check on it. Anyway, they covered "Yellow Submarine", and they did a great job with it. It starts out with a banjo, and just sounding fun, but when they get to the chorus, I think, they kick in a horn section, that are playing with a little New Orleans jazz flare. When that happens, you can't help but smile. It truly makes you happy. What, you think I'm making this up? I have proof, of it's affect. I played it for my ukulele teacher tonight, and when that horn section kicked in, He got the biggest smile on his face. I watched it happen. Unfortunately, I could not find a version of it on Youtube, or Soundcloud, so I can't let that big smile fall upon your face. If you have Sirius, you can go to the On Demand section and find it on the Howard 100 channel log. In the meantime, how about a song by them? This is "Down in Mississippi". It shows of their folk styling. It's not "Yellow Submarine" but it's a goody. Just take a listen.



     Ok, that is a little bigger than I thought it would be, but it works, so give it a listen. Really, scroll back up a bit and tap the little Play arrow. You are going to enjoy it.

     I finished up the night watching then second half of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. This was the new version of it, and it was ok. I can only say "ok" right now, because I didn't see the whole thing, so I may be at a bit of a loss for some things that were going on. It appears that they added an audience of actors that were doing the crowd participation activities. I'm not sure it worked. The thing that is great about that part of the movie is, that you have to go to an actual screening to get the full effect, and that doesn't come over well in a fake version of it. That being said. I do believe that they did a great job of casting it. Everyone looks the role, and they are talented singers as well. Here is the catch though, it appears that they were all lip synching their parts. I could be wrong, but it came off a bit odd to me. Now, it was all of their own voices doing the singing, but it just seems that they played to track on the songs. People that I know, that were in it, were: Laverne Cox, who played Dr. Frank N Furter, and come on, she is perfect for the role. She is an actual transgender woman. Tim Curry plays the investigator. He was the reason I was giving this a chance at all. If He was in it, it gives it some credibility. Ben Vereen played Dr. Scott, and seeing him in stockings and high heels at the end, was priceless. Christina Milian played Magenta, and was really good. I've only known her as a singer, so the acting was a nice surprise. Finally Victoria Justice played Janet. She definitely channeled her inner Susan Sarandon. Her version of "Toucha, Toucha, Toucha Touch Me" was an almost exact version of the original. I guess the album is being released tomorrow, which would be Friday. If you can find it somewhere to listen, or at least sample it, give it a try. I think they do an ok job, but I need to see the whole thing before I can give it a full review.

     I have no plans for this weekend, but the good news is, that I only have to worry about two days this week. I'm actually working tomorrow. I know, I can hardly believe it myself. I'm truly working a full 5 days this week. I'm a little beside myself in the joy department. I was thinking of hitting Universal like I mentioned earlier in the week, but someone mentioned to me about a place in Vero Beach, that a lot of bikers go to. He said that it was fun to ride down there and just look at all the bikes that sit outside of the place. I may do that. Oh yeah, I broke a thousand miles on Saki, on Tuesday morning on my way to work. I was excited. Now, we are heading fast and hard for two thousand.

     Well, I better get to bed, I have to work in the morning. Peace in and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment