Sunday, February 17, 2019

It's Finally Done

     Well, I did it. I finished the bookcase wand stand, and I think it came out pretty good. It was such a thrill to make this piece, and to be able to say that I made it with my own two hands. I tried to make it functional while giving it an artist's flair. I think I pulled it off. I sent the pictures to Elie yesterday. Yes, I did add a little pizzaz to it, to make it just a little over the top. Anyway, here are the pictures I took, so you can see it for yourself.






     What do you think of it? I put everything I had, and every little bit of know how that I have into making this. The glue held, so no screws are used in holding it together. it is all wood, glue, stain, and clear coat. That is it. I can't wait to get it to Elie, so that she can see it in person, and put her own books in it. The wands on top are hers, she had them sent to my house, so that I could get it just right, and I think I nailed it.

     I made each post individual to it's wand.  I made Dumbledore's Elder Wand post look more refined and elegant, and I made Voldemort's to mimic the tongue of a snake. It's forked at the top, and I put those curves in it, to make it look a little like it is slithering. 

     I am beyond proud of myself for pulling this off. I had an idea, and a few tools, and I put it all to work, and it worked. I didn't know if I could do it, but as I got further and further in, I began to be more confident in myself. I took my time, when I made the little pits that the base of each wand fit in. I hallowed them out, and then did a test fit with the wands, and I got it on the first try. I more than likely couldn't do that again if I tried. I only used two coats of the clear coat. It came down to the fact, that it looked really good after those two coats, and I worried that I would somehow screw it up with more. An artist's biggest fear is that they do too much to a project and ruin it, and that is where I was when I woke up in the morning. 

     Enough of my grand accomplishment. The mom had a rough day on Friday. She was very confused and it took a lot of convincing by me to get her to stay in bed for the night at the rehab. She thought she had walked there, and they just gave her a bed. She was much better on Saturday. I didn't get to go see her today, because I worked until 5 and they lock the doors to that place then, so I will stop by to see her after my interview tomorrow. Yep, I have an interview in Orlando tomorrow. I have no idea what to expect from them, but It could be a full time job. If so, I'll let you know. I don't expect to be hired this week, but you never know.

     I do plan on taking this entire week to myself other than that interview, and I hope to take the bookcase to Elie on Friday, we just have to figure out when. I have to work on Saturday, so I won't be able to stay late and get some cool night time shots with the camera again, but it will still be good to see her and finally give her her bookcase.

     I'm going to go watch SNL now, and then lallygag around until The Walking Dead comes on. Peace in and goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. I am sooooooo beyond proud too! It looks so amazing. I love all this detail. I can't wait to get it here either! :-)

    ReplyDelete