Thursday, September 8, 2016

What Do You Say When You Have Nothing to Say?

     I was contemplating on whether or not to write tonight. The reason. I really don't have much to say, but I do have a schedule, and I would like to stick to it. I can give you a brief update on AGT. My favorite act of the night, did make it to the finals. It wasn't an easy ride there though. Sophie Dossi ended up in the bubble three acts. Once there, she did win the save, but I was really shocked that she was down there. I really thought that she had the best act of the night. I think people judged her too harshly for her slight bobble when she was in the spinning hand stand. She didn't fall people, and you try to do that on just the flat ground without the spin. You can't do it can you?

     Brian Justin Crum also made it through. He was put through based on the vote, which I expected to happen. He has a very good chance of winning the entire thing. Here is the thing though, and this goes for all the singers in the competition. I think them getting a show in Vegas under serves them. Singers have to tour to get their name out there. I know that there are singers that do residencies in Vegas, but they are already established performers, that have a very strong core audience, that will travel to see them. Someone that wins a talent show, doesn't really have that core. I don't know how it will work for them. Oh, in case you didn't know what the prize was for AGT, it is a one million dollars and a show in Vegas for a year. It's basically a one year contract for a million dollars. I know that singers have won before, and I think they did their year stint in Vegas and then went out on tour, but you really don't hear much about them. It will be interesting to see.

     It's Thursday, so that means that it's ukulele night. I decided to torture my teacher tonight, and asked him for "Pure Imagination", by Gene Wilder. He started listening to it, and then he turned towards me and said, "Why do you do this to me?". I just laughed, and told him that he was going to hate me for this one. Here is the surprise. That song is full of jazz chords. I never would have guessed that song to be a jazz number, but it seems to be. There are some really difficult chords in there, and the melody is a bit tricky for a High G ukulele, but it can be done. We got half way through the song, and it is sounding really good. I think it is going to be a slick little tune when I can get it down.

     I know this is short, and I told you I really didn't have much to say tonight, but it's late here as I type this. I'm off tomorrow, but I'm still waking up early so that I can have breakfast with a very dear friend of mine. She is in town briefly before she whisks herself off to North Carolina, and then back, and then off to New Orleans to celebrate her birthday, so I have to take a visit with her where I can slip it in. And with that last line, which I know is going to end up getting a snigger from some, I bid you, peace in and goodnight.

1 comment: