Saturday, August 4, 2018

The Patchwork Knight (Chapter 38)

     When the commotion had calmed, Sir Jacob had the villagers circle the wagons and carts while the Knights and able bodied men cut a long trench on the side of the trail to bury the bodies of the Raiders. We dug separate graves further in the forest for the 10 men of ours that died. It was late in the evening when we finished.

     The exhaustion was evident all around, but a watch still had to be formed. Sir Jacob asked for volunteers and said he would force no man to take the first watch. I was the first to volunteer.

     "I'll take the first watch. I don't need much rest."

     "Very well, but you can't do it alone. There should be two at the least to watch both sides of the caravan on the trail."

     Rolf and Sir Paljin stepped forward at the same time.

     "It appears we will have three for the first watch then. That is good. You can rotate out to keep your eyes fresh with new scenery. You will take the watch to midnight. I will relieve you myself with two other men that will gainfully volunteer soon as well."

    Two other Knights that I hadn't talked to before quickly stepped forward to volunteer for second watch. Sir Jacob nodded his approval to them for their action and had them set their bed rolls near his own.

     "Pitre, you saw the vanguard. How many men did it hold?"

     "I didn't get a count, but if it were less than two thousand strong I would be surprised."

     "It is very fortunate that you were able to lead them off then. We have lost quite a few since I saw you last, and would have lost a great deal more if you hadn't showed when you did."

     "We saw the graves further back along the trail. How many have you lost?"

     "With the ten tonight, we have lost 35 in total. Six of them were Knights. They as well as the villagers fought with all of their heart."

     "I would expect nothing less after what I saw when we fought that war band back at the fort."

     "Alright Pitre, I'm going to go get some rest now. I'll see you in a few hours. I don't expect anymore trouble tonight, but stay safe on you watch. Tell Paljin and that lad Rolf to do the same. That reminds me, we will have to discuss how you turned a foe into a friend at some point."

      "It was none of my doing."

      "I'm sure that you had more to do with it than you know."

      Sir Jacob patted me on the shoulder as we walked past me to his bed roll. I left the safety of the circled camp and began my watch. I entered the Euphoria and looked down the trail. It was dark and quiet.

     I heard a  shuffle of footsteps from behind me. I turned in a flash to see Rolf walking towards me.

     "I'm only here to relieve you. It's your turn to walk around the camp."

     "You should know better than to sneak up on me."

     "I didn't sneak. I was just walking."

     "True, I heard you like you were a stampede of horses. We'll have to work on that."

     "So you are going to train me?"

     "I said I would, but it will have to wait until we can get some time to ourselves. How goes the watch? Anything unusual?"

      "No, it's quiet all around. I just talked to Sir Paljin before coming here, he hadn't seen or heard anything either."

      "Yes, it's that same quiet that was at that lake. Nothing is stirring, not even animals. They sense the fighting and want to stay away from it. The matters of man are left to man."

     "How old did you say you were?"

     "I didn't."

     "You must have seen a hundred summers than, for you to talk like that."

     "Only 14."

     "AYE, are you fooling me?"

     "Keep it down, you'll wake everyone."
 
     "Sorry, but you are only 14 of years?"

     "Yes, I was on my own since I was 11. That is when my village was destroyed and everyone was either killed or taken."

     "That explains it then, you've seen a lifetime beyond your own. Alright then old man you better get along then. As old as you are you might not make it around the camp without help."

      We both chuckled at this, and I began my watch walking around the camp. I walked near the outer edge of the carts and wagons, and could hear the gentle snores of those sleeping just beyond them. It sounded like the first peaceful night they have had for days. Probably since we left that tiny village.

     The night remained quiet as I approached Sir Paljin for his turn around the camp.

     "Sir Paljin, how goes it on this side of the camp."

     "Quiet, too quiet if you ask me. I nearly dozed off a few times because of the silence."

     "Did you practice enhancing your sight?"

     "I have, and it is as you said. It gets easier each time I do it. I have seen nothing forward along the trail, but I believe I could see two maybe three hundred yards further than I normally could before."

     "You will be able to see further the more you do it. It's like anything you work at. It improves with practice."

     "How far can you see with your sight?"

     "I can see about two miles ahead."

     "Two miles? That is astonishing. Can you tell me what you see on the trail ahead?"

     "Yes, I can see that the trail forks about a mile or so forward. There is a small sign there that points to the left and says The Kingdom on it."

     "Wait, how did you see that without doing the first movement?"

     "I no longer have to do the movements to go into the Swordsman's Euphoria."

     "It looks like I have yet another thing to learn."

     "In time if we have it, but right now, you need to walk the watch."

     "Right you are. There will be plenty of time to have fun once we get to the Crystal Palace."

     With that Sir Paljin began his walk.

     I starred off along the trail looking for signs of any kind of an animal along the trial or outer edge of the forest, but none were to be seen. Even nocturnal birds were absent from the skies. Nothing it seemed wanted anything to do with what was happening in the Realm.

     The moon was just beginning to rise on the horizon when Sir Jacob came to my position to take over the watch.

     "I take it the night has been pleasant to you Pitre?"

     "That it has, too pleasant. Not even a mouse has stirred."

     "We needed a night like this, after the few days we have had. The moral of the caravan had faltered after the ambush, and before you arrived, I feared that even I had given up. We were prepared to be run through when you slashed your way through that infantry of Raiders. You must have killed fifty men on you own, and you didn't even get a knick. You are an extraordinary swordsman Pitre. I dare say the best I've ever seen. Sir Wallace clearly understated your ability."

      "It was years since I saw Sir Wallace last. What he told you was true. My skill has grown since then. I just had no way of knowing how much. I only had myself to see my progress, and I am no judge of mine own ability."

     "Still you remain humble. Pitre, you will be the difference in this war. You will be the reason that the Realm pushes back the threat of the Mudwood once again. Your legend will only grow."

     "The stories will be for others to tell. I only want to be the best swordsman in the land and protect those who need it."

     "You already are the best swordsman in the land. From what I saw yesterday, there is no equal to you, alive or dead."

     "That's not true. My father was far superior to anything I could ever be. He taught me as much as he could before he died, but he didn't teach me everything."

     "I wish I could have seen your father then. He must have been a miracle in motion. You go get your rest now. I'm sure the night will remain quiet."

     "Take your own advice and stay safe in the night Sir Jacob."

     "That I will Pitre."

      I found Rolf and Sir Paljin already asleep next to each other in the camp. I laid out my bedroll beside theirs and did the same.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment