Saturday, August 11, 2018

The Patchwork Knight (Chapter 39)

     We awoke to the sounds of shouting and calamity. One of the guards had caught a Raider scout. He was sneaking around the base of the forest spying on our makeshift camp. He was small but feisty. He looked like a rabbit caught in a trap being held by the large Targen Knight.

     "LET ME GO!"

     "That's not going to happen. Why were you spying on us?"

     "LET ME GO!"

     "Why were you spying on us?"

     Sir Jacob spoke with a calm demeanor. He stood in front of the spy while Sir Darius held him in the air dangling by one of his hands.

     "LET ME GO!"

     "As I said before, that is not going to happen. This is very simple, you can tell us why you were spying, or we simply kill you now and be done with you. So what will it be?"

     "KILL ME THEN, MY REVENGE WILL COME WHEN THE HOURDE COMES TO FINSH YOU OFF!"

     "See there, we learned something new. You call your army a Hourde. Now, where are they and how soon will they be here?"

     "YOU WILL DIE WHEN THE SUN SETS ON THE MORROW, YOU FILTHY MAGGOTS!"

     "So they are within a days travel of us, interesting. Would you mind tell us which direction they are coming from?"

     "THE HOURDE COMES FROM EVERYWHERE AND NOWHERE!"

     "Fair enough. It appears that we have learned all that our little friend here will tell us. Sir Darius, please dispense of him and toss his body with the rest of his kind in the woods."

     "Yes, sir."

     Sir Darius slowly led the young spy down to the ground and quickly grasped his head with one of his massive hands, and wrenched it to the side, snapping his neck. The body dropped to the ground. Sir Darius reached down and picked the body up slinging it over his shoulder and took him into the woods where the rest of the infantry were scattered.

     "It appears that we aren't out of the woods yet. I will need volunteers to scout ahead along the trail so that we avoid this Hourde."

     "I'll do it. Just tell me the direction we need to go, and I will scout the trails ahead of us."

     "I'd say, you may be the best choice Pitre. Sir Paljin told me about your sight. Truly remarkable, I'm hoping that you will teach me how to do that as you taught Paljin. I would prefer that you only travel from junction to junction. If they truly are coming from everywhere, then we should go station to station. That way we can stay together for the most part."

     "That seems like the smart choice Sir Jacob. I know where the crossroads is from here. It is only a half a mile away. I will ride ahead and meet you there."

     "I want someone else to go with Sir Pitre. I will only accept volunteers, but if none come forward, I will go myself."

     "I think we make a pretty good team. I will go, and I'm sure that Rolf will ride along as well."

     "Indeed I will. As fearsome as you Knights are, I believe I would be safest with Pitre."

     "Rolf you have nothing to fear from us. We will fight to keep you safe as if you were one of our own."

     "I'm sure you will, but I've seen what Pitre is capable of, and please take no offense to what I'm going to say, but I don't think a man among you can stand against him. I will always go where he goes."

     "No offense taken, I would dare say you are right, after the display he put on yesterday, I don't think there are twenty men that can stand against him. You three will ride ahead, but go no further than the crossroad. We will regroup and then make a plan at that point. Ride safely gentlemen."

     "That we will. Commander."

     "Sir Jacob, we will ride out as soon as our bedrolls are packed. We can have our breakfast at the crossroad. How soon can we expect you and the rest of the caravan."

     "We have about an hour before sunrise, I believe we will be on the trail as the light breaks the night. Those of you who can cook begin preparing a small breakfast, everyone else, begin packing the carts and wagons. We move to meet these three at the crossroads soon after first light."

     "See you soon then Sir Jacob."

     "Soon Pitre."

***

     The crossroad was quiet, with no sign of traffic from any direction. I could still see the caravan with my sight as they were packing up and eating breakfast.

     "Do you know which direction we will take from here Sir Paljin?"

     "Pitre, aren't we beyond calling each other Sir by now?"

     "I thought it was customary?"

     "It is, but when we are on our own, there is no need for it. We will take the southeast trail. The one without the sign."

     "Good, you stay here with Rolf and I will scout ahead to see if there are any ambushes along the trail."

     "Wait a minute Pitre, you must not have heard me back at the camp when I said I go where he goes."
   
     "I heard you, but it is safer for you to stay here."

     "It is also safer for you to stay here as well Pitre. Jacob said for us to stay here and wait for the caravan."

     "I know that, but I can get a jump on anything that is ahead of us."

     "Not if it is a Hourde as that scout said. You are good Pitre, but no one is that good."

     "I will be fine. I won't engage a Hourde, but I can take out a small force or solo scout on my own. Maybe I can learn something from them."

     "I don't like it Pitre."

     "Me either. Listen Sir Paljin here is very capable, but I'd rather have you as my armor."

     "As long as you stay here you won't need any armor. It is more likely that you will get hurt or killed if you go with me."

     "So you are expecting trouble. Even more reason for me to go with you."

     "Pitre. I can't believe I am saying this, but go, but be back here before the caravan arrives. I don't want to explain to Sir Jacob why we didn't obey his orders."

     "Consider it done."

     I took off on foot and used the Euphoria and the aether to propel me along. I was able to cover a few miles in minutes. I used my sight along the way and the area was fully clear. I could see small animals along the sides of the trail. They had that now familiar line fo blue light around them. I considered that a good sign. This was the first sign of any animals in days. War hasn't found it's way to this trail yet.

     When I was five miles from the crossroad, I saw a faint golden glow coming from the tree line. I stopped in my tracks, and made my way into the forest. I silenced my footsteps, and made my way to where the golden glow was coming from. I weaved my way through the trees and could see the silhouette of a man standing behind a tree. His glow was slight like Rolf's, it only outlined his body. I continued to sneak up behind the man and drew the dagger from my belt. I grabbed the top of his head and brought he dagger down to rest in front of his neck.

    "If you scream of move, I will open your throat."

     He didn't make a sound or even the slightest of movements.

     "Good, it appears that we have an understanding. Are you a scout?"

    The man shook his head quickly.

     "When and where are you to report back?"

     "I'm to remain in my position until I see anything along the trail. I am then to follow them to where they rest for the night, then I report to my squad along the trail to the Kingdom."

     "What happens if you don't report back with in a day."

     "Nothing, I am only to report if I see anything."

     "Are there any other scouts along this trail?"

     "No, there is another scout along the trail to the north, and our squad is camped along the trail to the Kingdom a few miles along the trail."

     "We've already met the scout along the north trail. He was rather rambunctious, and not very smart. It appears that you are much more intelligent than he. You continue to remain quiet. I will give you a choice. You can remain alive and walk with me back to the crossroad and wait for our caravan, or I can let you lie here."

     "By lie here, do you mean the place I will rest finally?"

     "Yes."

     "Then I will gladly take a walk with you."

     "Do you have a horse with you or are you on foot?"

     "I'm on foot. Our squad leader thought a horse would be to difficult to conceal."

     "Very well then, on foot it is. Head back along the trail to the crossroad."

     We began walking along the trail. I had returned my dagger to my belt and remained a step behind the scout. He quickly stooped down.

     "I think I have something in my boot. Can I take it off and check?"

     "Go ahead."

     I heard the blade slide from a sheath in his boot. He was beginning to stand up with the blade out and trying to turn when my sword removed his head from his body. I had drawn at the same time that he had, but I was quicker. When his head came to rest on the ground before his body had fallen, I could see the final look of shock on his face. the body collapsed in a thud. I walked over and picked the head up.

     "I would have let you live. It seems you were just as foolish as your friend."

     I threw the head as deep into the woods as I could and then I dragged the body in after it.



No comments:

Post a Comment