Sunday, September 23, 2018

I'm A Master Wood Craftsman Now

     I am so tired of this cough. If I could cut my throat out, I would. Every time that I think it is on the way out, it comes back again. Today it is on a low side, which means that tomorrow it will blow up and have me with a headache and constant coughing. I'm saying this because I'm hoping that reverse psychology will work on my cough.

     I forgot to mention last week that, and this will be the last time I talk about the video, the video was shot mostly with the Canon T7i. All the still footage was shot on that Canon with the boom mic added to it for the audio. There was nothing special use other than that, and I think it all came out great. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the audio that it captures, so I'm really looking forward to filming with it again. I just don't know when that will be. I guess I could do some talking head videos for my channel, but I don't think that will go over well with the viewers.

     I began work on a new little side project yesterday. I mentioned previously that I needed to make a wand stand for my wand. I am after all a wizard now, and my wand deserves a nice place to stay other than a box. I broke out the circular saw, which is not ideal for what I needed to do, but it's basically all I have. I cut up an old 2x4 into a basic shape that I could work with for the stand, then I got out the dual sander. I love that sander, it only cost me like $60 from Harbor Freight, and I have used it quite a bit for just little odds and ends. I worked the wood into a little more than basic shape, and added some curves to it, that weren't there from the beginning. Once I had the majority of the wood off that I wouldn't need. I broke out the Dremel. I began shaping some more, getting the most of the rough edges off, and put a deeper groove in the top for the wand to rest. Here are the pictures after the majority of the shaping was done.





















     Not too bad for someone that has no idea what they are doing. It is by complete accident that the shape of the wood actually compliments the shape of the wand. That was the end of day 1. Day 2 was this morning. Oh, I forgot, I had to go out and by fine grit sand paper and stain for completing this project yesterday, but back to today. I got the sand paper out, and began the hand sanding. This is where the final shape is going to come from. I knocked even more of the sharp edges from the wood, and began getting rid of blemishes in the wood, that I had made with the Dremel. The Dremel is great, but it can be a bit unpredictable for me. I haven't spent much quality fine tuning time with it, so I got a bit sloppy. I'm not sure how much more I have to do, because as I left it today, the few blemishes that are left, add character to the piece, so I may leave them in. Although there is one spot that I want to take down a bit more. Anyway, here is the picture after the first day of hand sanding.


     I love the way the wood grain is really showing through on it. I'm hoping that when I stain it, it will come out even more. I chose a Sedona Red for the stain. I think that will compliment the brown and bone colors of the wand. I really should get a picture of the back of it for you as well. Maybe after I get the sanding done tomorrow, I will remember to do that. I didn't just leave the back flat, I wanted the flow to wrap around the entire thing. The idea, is that it should look a little like a piece of drift wood, and I think I pulled that off. I want it to look like it was shaped through natural means and not an idiot with sandpaper and a few power tools. I didn't want it to look perfectly symmetrical. I wanted those somewhat natural looking curves to it.

     I think all the hand sanding will be done tomorrow. I will let it sit for a day, and wipe it down real good to get rid of any dust particles on it, then I will start staining it. If everything goes well, I should have finished pictures for you on Thursday night.

     Tattoo update: I still haven't heard from the tattoo shop that I contacted, so I went on a little local search for another potential artist for this piece. I found one. It is an artist I have known about, but never really looked at her work, when I finally did, I was amazed by it. This week will be kind of busy, so I'm not going to worry too much about it, but next week, I might reach out to this other artist. On the studios Facebook page, which is their only web presence, they ask that you contact them through that or email to set up a consult or appointment. They are looking for the next month or so right now, so they have a busy schedule it seems. I doubt I would be able to get in for a couple of weeks at the earliest. I can wait, so that isn't a problem. At the very least, if I can get a response, that is heads and tails above what I have gotten so far. 

     I found out from this search that there are even more tattoo studios in this area than I even knew. They all have some great artist, but I'm looking for a certain style, and I have found, that it is mostly women who have that style, so I put my focus on finding the right female artist for this piece, and the others that I want. both of the woman I have found are right there, with that style and care in the quality of their artwork. There are plenty of men that could pull this off, but I want to go to a female artist because I believe that they work harder at their craft, because they are overpowered by their male counterparts. I want my artist to love what they do, and want to put a little of themselves in the piece that they do. I had that with my other artist, so I know how the work comes out, and that is what I want for my next artist.

     I watched a new series on Netflix this weekend. Maniac stars Emma Stone and Jonah Hill, and it is weird. You have to get through the first 3 episodes to get to where it picks up. I have to tell, you, the first 3 are just flat out boring, and you have no idea what is going on, but once you hit episode 4 it begins to make sense, and it gets really exciting. When the final episode comes along, you don't want it to end. The acting is superb. it is filmed in what you could assume is in modern time or maybe a few years in the future, but everyone is dressed as though they were in the 70's. It's a really odd contrast. It's modern yet periodesque. Give it a try if you are looking for something to watch, but remember, you will have to struggle through those first 3 episodes. 

     I'm putting this up very early today, in hopes that I will lay down for a nap, and never wake up. If that happens then the cough is finally gone. I will of course miss Fear the Walking Dead, but we all have to make sacrifices. Peace in and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment