Saturday, September 22, 2018

The Patchwork Knight (Chapter 45)

     Before I knew it, I was standing in front of all available Targen Knights, and directing them how to swing their swords. When I began with the interlocking loop, their jaws dropped. I slowed to show them step by step and they began following my movements. I switched hands so that they could mirror me like I did with Rolf and they all stopped what they were doing.

     "Why did you stop?"

     "I think I can answer that Sir Patchwork Knight. This lot hasn't seen you fight before. They didn't know about your prowess with two swords."

     One young Knights stepped forward.

     "We have only heard the tales. Is it true that you took on an entire infantry and killed every man."

     "Well."

     "It's true lad. I was there and saw it with mine own two eyes. We were there and helped, but The Patchwork Knight did all of the hard work."

     "Did you really bring Sir Parljin back to life?" Shouted another Knight from the back.

     "I..."

     "Back to work. Sir Pitre isn't here to answer your questions, he's here to teach you horse droppings how to swing those pointy things you call blades. Now follow his instruction and save the fire talk for the fire."

     "Thank you Sir Darius."

     I began again with my left hand and had them mirror my movements until they began to pick up their speed. The Knights were enthusiastic, and picked up on the movements in time, but not as quickly as Rolf or the others from the days before.

     By the end of the week, every Knight in the Realm had been in front of me to learn basic movements for controlling their swords. Every time a new bunch of Knights were in front of me, it was the same reaction. Their jaws would drop, they would ask questions about the tales, then Sir Darius would reprimand them and get them back on track. In the time I wasn't training knights, I was training Rolf. We would go through new movements each day, and then run to the bottom of the mountain, Rolf would keep pace on the way down, but I would lose him on the ascent.  I would wait for him at the top. Sometimes I would practice the movements, keeping in mind not to practice any further than 8, or a random Knight would corner me and ask me question on which tales were true and which were false.

     The days turned into weeks and the weeks turned into months. I was beginning to starve for seeing the rest of the realm. I needed to leave the mountain and face the enemy. The Knights training was going well, and they were beginning to train any man that could handle a sword to add to the army. They were training like Knights but they would remain only army. I never understood the reasoning behind that, but it was the King's decision.

***

      "I'm going to finally grant your wish Pitre. It has been months since we sent out patrols. We have had scouts out and about, but they are only to report information. They have found several small pockets of villagers that have escaped the Raiders for the time being, but their time will soon run out. I'm sending you and a group of 14 men to round up as many villagers as you can."

     "When do I leave and who will be with me."

     "You will leave tomorrow morning, and Rolf will be with you of course. I'm also sending  Sir Gorin, Sir Constance, and Sir Darius with you. They all know where the villagers are hiding. The rest of your men will be some of the top Knights in the Realm. You have served me well in your short time here, but I can see that you are unhappy sitting on this mountain."

     "Thank you Your Highness, I don't mean any disrespect. I'm happy to train the men, but I feel like I'm better at your service, if I'm out there helping the people of the Realm."

     "I understand Pitre, that is why I'm sending you. Also, call me Reese. There is no need for formality when we are alone. I don't even like titles when I'm out amongst others but it's the burden of being a ruler. Before you leave, you need to stop by Galdren's forge. He has something for you."

    I had forgotten about the armor he had promised.

     "I have to say, I've seen what he has, and it is truly unique. It is truly one of a kind. I think it will suit you well.

     "Your High.. Reese, can I ask about Sir Salvor?"

     "Of course you can, what do you want to know?"

     "Would it be possible for me to speak to him? I would like to know about the day that Sir Wallace died."

     "I'm afraid that won't be possible Pitre. Sir Salvor was a strong man, but no longer. He does what he can around the Palace, but ever since he returned, fear and panic grip him. I worry that if he saw you, it would bring back terrible memories for him. That is why I'm sending Sir Gorin with you. He will be able to take you to the site of Sir Wallace's death. I'm sorry you can't learn more Pitre. It is for the best."

     Thank you Reese. I would like to know his tale, but one can live an entire life without hearing every tale the land has to offer, I will have to accept that this is one of those."

     "Are you sure that you are only, what? 15? Go now, I know that Galdren will be happy to have you. I'm sure he will want to fit you and see if there are any alterations that need made before you leave."

  ***

     I burst from the King's chambers and ran to the forge. I threw the door open and found Galdren at the furnace. He was spinning in a panicked state to look at me.

     "Aye boy, I thought a herd of horses were bursting down my door. I'm too old for you to come running in like that. You could have been the death of me."

     "Sorry Galdren. I should have been more cautious."

     "I'm guessing the King told you that i had something for you.?"

     "Yes."

     "Alright then lad, come over here."

     Gladren walked to the far side of the forge where a tarp was hanging over a large object. He walked up to it and pulled it off in a flourish. Standing next to him was a suit of armor like I had never seen. It had no helm. It had a shiny silver breast plate with a sigil on the front that was in the shape of a shield, but in four parts. The top left was a piece of the King's sigil, the white blossomed flower. the top right had a part of the Targen Knights sigil of the lion's head. The lower left had an upper case F, and the bottom right had a wolves head on it. The right arm of the armor was coated in chain mail but had no gauntlet. The left side was covered in boiled leather scale mail and ended with a plate mail gauntlet. The legs were all ring mail that had interchanging loops of gold, silver and copper. The boots where mismatched. One of a dark steel plate and the other looked like bronze. It was beautiful.

     "Why is it missing the right gauntlet?"

     "You already have that my boy. You've had it for years now."

      "Of course, how could I forget. What is that sigil in the center?"

     "That is your sigil my boy. I felt that a Patchwork Knight deserved armor and a sigil that fit him. The top is of course part of the King's sigil and the sigil of the Targen Knights. The bottom represents your father and you yourself."

     "What do you mean?"

     "The "F" is the first letter of your father's name, and the wolf is from the tale we have all heard about you killing a giant wolf to protect your friend."

     "How did you hear that tale?"

     "Your friend Rolf. He told us the tale of the girl that travels with him in the vanguard, and how she had a friend that battled a giant wolf to protect her. He also told us that you confirmed the story."

    "It's true. I was lucky, as a child."

    "I'd say your luck is still holding my boy, and you aren't that far removed from that boy. You may have grown and see quite a lot in your years, but you are still just a boy. Try and remember that."

    "I know, find some time to spend my childhood, being a child."

     "Ah, your father's words still stay with you. I'll tell you a little secret Pitre. Your father used to tell me that all the time. I was a full grown man and he was telling me that all the time during the war. Your father was the kindest man I ever knew. He always wanted everyone to be happy, and I know when the war ended, all he wanted was for fighting and battles to stay far from this land. He was good at fighting. Ah, he was great at fighting, but he never relished it. Learn from him boy. I know you want to get out there, but don't do it, only to kill Raiders."

     "I just want to help the villagers that are still out there. They need to be protected from the Raiders."

     "Aye, you are your father's son. Stay safe on your journeys Pitre, I want to have a meal with you when you return."

     "It's the first thing I'll do when I walk back to the top of this mountain."

     "Alright now boy, try this armor on, It's not meant to sit on a stand."

     Galdren helped me put the armor on. It fit, well it fit as if it were made for me.

     "Move around in it boy. Let me know if it pinches anywhere. I can adjust it before you head out tomorrow morning."

     It moved with me. no matter what move I made it felt like it was part of me. I had been knighted as a Targen Knight several months ago, but this was the first time I truly felt like a Knight of the Targen Realm. 

     "If I didn't know better, I'd say you've been wearing that armor your entire life. It doesn't hinder you at all?"

     "No, It feels like I'm wearing britches in a tunic."

     "This will do much more for you than any britches and tunic."

     "Thank you again Galdren. I don't know how I will ever repay for this, and so much more."

     "With all the I owe your father, I say we are even lad. Your father saved me more times than I can remember. Go now boy. You'll need your rest for the days that are coming. I fear for you out there, but it is where you belong, not locked up in this palace. Add to your tales, I'll look forward to hearing them."

     I embraced Galdren as a tear rolled down my cheek. He was so much like my father. I turned and walked away, going back to my chambers to get the rest that was ordered me by the King's own blacksmith.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment